Saturday, June 03, 2006

Horse Whisperer

Miss Jilly had a lovely day celebrating her 5th birthday. We had to wake her up at 9:10! How many kids do you have to wake for their birthday???? Hello!!! and how good a sleep in is that! Ever sung Happy Birthday to a child who has just woken up??? Poor kid, freaked out a little then realised what day it actually was, got all excited told us to sing it again and promptly asked for her pressies. Lots of things girly and pink. As I was slightly sick of sharing lip balm (are you cringing Pamber?) deoderant, moisturiser, hair brushes, lip gloss, perfume, hand bags and a makeup case we decided to get her her own supply of all things nice and smelly. This coupled with pink clothes, pink shoes, a pink belt, Dora the Explorer toys and lots of other goodies certainly ensured Miss Jilly's day off to a good start.

Horse riding was the next thing on the agenda. So shoving a piece of toast down her mouth we hurried out the door car loaded with the cake, lollies, patty cakes, biscuits, party bags, lasagne for the adults, cordial and the all important camera.

Just a little background here... Jillian goes horse riding with a family friend probably once a month and I always hear how great she is on a horse. I kind of dismissed it as an exaggeration more than anything and humoured whoever bragged about her riding prowess.
I could not believe how confident Jillian is around horses and the girl can ride! I know she has an absolute adoration for horses but this girl was a little horse whisperer. She looked so comfortable in the saddle. Telling Oakey where to go, when to slow down and when to stop. She then got on the horse with Amanda (family friend) and steered sideways, backwards and then galloped a little (she's not allowed to do that by herself)! Feeling all proud and in awe we all clapped and cheered. Then our little equestrian wanna be was leading the other girls around on the horse for their turn. She held the reins, walked the paddock and chatted to Oakey the entire way for each lap.
You know those moments you have with your kids when you just can't help but watch them and smile, and then you get this warm feeling where the moment is just consumed by you and your completness of your child? Well I had several of those moments. I then reflected on how my girl has jumped, every so sneakily into that next age bracket, and I got a little sad.
My absolute favourite moment of the day? When the following conversation occurred between Tony and Jillian while he was giving her a big cuddle.
"You’re a big girl now that you are 5"

"I’m not 5 yet daddy"

"Yes you are, today is your birthday"

"No, I’m not 5 til I have my cake"

"Oh, well we won’t let you cut your cake and you can be 4 forever"

"No daddy, I want to be 5 so then I can be like mummy"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:27 PM

    How Beautiful, she's such a nice natured little girl, she obviously adores her mum and had the best birthday a 5 year old could have.
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete