Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Frustration

After an exceptionally frustrating day at work I still feel no better. I don't know whether it is a lack of sleep, a constant headache or just one of 'those days'. Or whether it is actually a genuine frustration at the ignorance of some people. In a meeting today two young fellow work mates were speaking about 'difficult' children and how parents need to be made more accountable and it is all the parents fault blah blah blah. Note here that these two do not have children and have not reached 30!

I raised the point that we have to be careful to not generalise and say all 'difficult' children are a result of poor parenting. It is too easy to blame the parents for a childs behaviour and attitude without either looking at our own professional practices or gee, I don't know how about firstly making the child responsible for their own behaviour???

Needless to say I was shot down rather quickly by these, obviously, very experienced mature adults with a vast array of life experience and as parents of school aged children! This frustration (and conversation) continued on for some 2 and a 1/2 more hours.

I believe we are in a profession where we have the power to influence an enormous amount of people now and in the future and it just frustrates me to no end....

ANYWAY.... I know this blog entry will be excpetionally boring to most of you, I guess I am just using it to vent...

I will go to bed, wake up tomorrow thankful for another day in paradise and do my little bit to help the world and I don't know maybe make a child smile along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment