Friday, June 23, 2006

The Journey of the Yellow Wall

2006, so far, has been an incredibly different year. In a period of 8 weeks, at the start of the year we moved out of our rental property. A home that had been ours for 9 years and bought our very first house. A change in leasing arrangements and landlord expectations forced us to review our housing position. After my selfish anger, initial panic and tears of frustration, a friend reminded me ever so truthfully and somewhat harshly (that's why I love her) that in fact we had no right to call our rental a home when in fact it never belonged to us. We just claimed it because we had been there for so long and had one inspection in that time and that perhaps we buy something that does belong to us that we can call a 'home'. She then proceeded to advise that my anger towards our landlords was in fact illfounded and that perhaps I was more angry at them for forcing us to step out of our comfort zone and, in her words, "give us the kick up the arse that we needed". She was and is right.

So in an 8 week period we went house hunting, applied for a loan, cleaned, threw loads of stuff out, cleaned some more, packed, cleaned again and moved house to a beautiful suburb 30 minutes from our previous residence. The new house we love, the paint we don't so love. The rumpus room we adore, the colours, we don't so adore.

The rumpus room has bright royal blue and yellow walls. The blue is not so bad, great background for photographs, however, the yellow somewhat resembles the colour of egg yolk. It is 'happy' and bright but not very theraputic or mentally stimulating for school work, scrapbooking, or any other work or meditative activity. We are not in a financial position to repaint the room so I decided to paint a section of my yellow wall, that my desk backs onto, with a white 'canvas' section.


Stage one of the journey of the yellow wall (now it looks like a reverse egg)


The simple idea behind this is it becomes my inspiration or reflection or this-is-my-space wall. I intend to paint some inspiring words (my husband has said nothing to deep and soppy - right oh!) or a nice quote (ditto on the previous set of brackets) so that while I am creating or working I can look at my wall and not see a massive egg yolk but inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - I was telling everyone at OSS about painting my kitchen and Amber sent me here to look at your yellow (white) wall - looks great!!! So groovy and a lot more exciting than my mocha wall (which is destined to be adorned with fingerprints rather than inspiring words!).
    Petrina.

    ReplyDelete